Hmmmmm...Labor Day. I feel like I labored in many ways today:
- Running. I only did three miles and a bit...but I didn't take any walking breaks. (I've been doing two minute walking breaks after every three songs because of the ankle.)
- Laundry. Haley was home, and she brought some laundry with her. So I had to hurry. I got four loads finished today! (Except for the socks...they aren't sorted yet.)
- Creativity. I worked a bit on a scrapbook layout and processed some photos.
- Yard work. We trimmed trees and rosebushes, and then I worked on the never-ending eradicate-the-ivy project while Kendell mowed the lawn.
- Emotional. Jake has been going through it. We talked a lot today. We worked through some things. Still working on others. What has surprised me is how much his troubles have stirred up memories of my own adolescent aches...I am learning things about myself as well as him.
So when it was dinner time, I did not want to spend a ton of time cooking. So I made this dish, which is one I don't make very often but is always delicious when I do! It's awesome because it's pretty flexible, and I can usually find one or another of the ingredients in my pantry.
Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
1 cup ketchup
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
OR two cans of tomato soup
1 cup brown sugar
1 T chili powder
1 tsp hot chili
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp liquid smoke
20 ounces pineapple
OR 1 cup pineapple
premade meatballs (I buy the kind they sell at Costco)
Stir everything together. Bring to a boil, then let simmer until the rice is done. I always make coconut rice, which is just rice made with 1 can of coconut milk substituted for 1 cup of the cooking water.
Easy, fast, and delicious dinner!
What did you cook for dinner tonight?