Most of Monday we spent taking down the Christmas decorations. I don't love this part of the year, as it always makes me melancholy: I love my Christmas things, and I miss the cozy feeling they give my house, and putting them away means yet another Christmas has passed away. Maybe because really, 2012's December was just a good one, but my usual way of cheering myself up on de-Christmasing day didn't work. Usually, as I'm putting away ornaments and carefully bubble wrapping nativities and making sure I found every. last. holiday towel, I perk up a little bit by imagining what I might be like in 11 months from now, when I get the decorations out again. What will I accomplish over the year? How will I change?
But it didn't work this year. Instead, I felt like I'd already let my end-of-November-2013 self down. Like I'll get there and she'll say, as she's unwrapping nativities and getting ornaments out of boxes, here it is, another year almost over, and everything is the same. I didn't accomplish much. Which of course says quite a bit about how I feel about my 2012 accomplishments...nothing extraordinary.
I'm still a little bit blue I think.
I was talking to Kendell about this later that night, and he said "but you accomplished a lot last year!" and I said "what?" and he said, "well, you fed and clothed and kept on track the kids" and I felt a little glimmer of lightness so I said "what else?" and he said "you ran a lot." And then I decided not to keep asking because what if he ran out of things to say?
So I decided to put it all in a blog post. Not in a braggy way, but just to remind myself that 2012 wasn't a total wash. A year in review of sorts, I suppose, to give me something to build on for January:
- washed approx. 260 loads of laundry
- cooked close to 300 dinners
- took 2 vacations wherein no one was lost, kidnapped, drowned, or injured
- 11 trips to the dentist (Jake's is today)
- approx. 5000 photographs
- got Haley signed up for college
- lived two months without eating sugar
- wore all black for an entire month
- discovered a new favorite restaurant
- helped Kendell, Haley, Jake, Nathan, and Kaleb with homework
- ran approx. 450 miles
- made 114 scrapbook layouts
- taught one Big Picture class
- wrote an eZine article for Ella
- wrote 3 book reviews for the Provo-Orem Word, two of which were nominated for reader's favorites
- worked approx. 1000 hours at the library
- went on 6 hikes
- read 20-ish books
- ran 2 half marathons, one 5k, and 1 Ragnar relay
- put in 40 volunteer hours at Kaleb & Nathan's school
- made 8 baby quilts as gifts
- wrote eleven Write Saturdays and hosted the blog on 2 different weeks for WCS
And even though there are many other goals I didn't accomplish ("publish something" being the biggest one), I suppose I need to get over my blueness and realize I did at least do something!
How as your 2012?