- Because today is exactly two weeks till Christmas and I've purchased exactly one gift.
- Because I have no clue what to get any of my offspring.
- Because my usual holiday "I love being Santa Claus" exuberance is TOTALLY GONE this year.
- Because my husband has 87 days of vacation to use before January 1, so he keeps staying home. Which yeah, I know, should induce marital nirvana, but really, not so much. I can't get anything done when he is home. Well, anything other than assure him he's not likely to get lucky, head out for a special beverage an unholy amount of times, and discuss endlessly (without ever deciding anything) what we should get the kids for Christmas.
- Because the calendars aren't done.
- Because the bright and festive holiday stars I saw in a quilting magazine and thought sure, I can make those! I'll make 35 of them! how hard can they be? are actually really, really hard to sew unless you're a sewing fascist of 1/4-inch-seam and matching-points perfection, so right now there are star parts strewn everywhere, not to mention the rest of the mess that sewing entails.
- Because I've been cooking a lot.
- Because I've developed an unhealthy affection for the Food Network, and sitting in bed watching Guy Fieri take his enormous, disgusting bites of the World's Most Unhealthy Food gives me a perverse pleasure that outweighs my annoyance at how he always has sunglasses stuck on the back of his head. Can't someone on his shooting crew stick them in a backpack or something? Or can't he just leave them in the car?
- Because it takes a lot of frickin time to eat all of that chocolate. (Read: Peppermint Dark Chocolate Lindt truffle balls.)
- Because while I'm super excited for Saturday's girls-only baking party at my mom's house, I am A---not excited about the backlash that comes from "girls only" in my household of boys who would sometimes like to see their family despite the fact that they have penises, and B---not sure what I should make. My over-achieving crafty persona would like to make homemade, hand dipped chocolates but I'm not sure that's a persona I should nurture. She did, after all, encourage me to make fabric stars.
- Because I still need to finish a scrapbooking assignment (I can't get even one single layout done, while meanwhile scrapbookers all over the globe are merrily making their December Daily albums; those people's craft personas must be megalomaniacs), a writing assignment, some stuff for church, and the decorations.
- Because I need to go to the post office. To.Day.
- Because I wanted to make a holiday quilt for Haley, but I didn't.
- Because last night Jake cut his finger open and getting stitches takes time.
- Because somehow in my normal, non-December life of kids, house, job, and exercise, I already feel like I can't keep everything together, so throwing Christmas in the mix has shoved me right down the rabbit hole, so instead of doing any of the 1,287 million things on my to-do list I'm eating tater tots from Sonic and thinking my lalalalalala thoughts and yeah: actually blogging.
But those are the reasons I have neglected you. January will be better.